Monday, February 20, 2006

Day One

I have never done a modification before so this whole experience should be interesting. The first question I asked myself was, why mod a perfectly good Xbox? Well the answer to that is simple, I want to make it better. Here are my goals for this project:

  • Install Xecuter 3 Modchip (soldering is required).
  • Install new hard drive into Xbox.
  • Integrate Xbox into my WIFI 801.11G network.
  • Install Xbox Media Center software (XBMC).
  • Be able to access videos/music from my computer(which is downstairs) through the Xbox (which is upstairs).
  • Gain the ability to play online through Kai network (no need to pay for Xbox Live)
  • Get a cool box that will be better than everyone else's :)

I pretty much have a clear idea of what I have to do, since I have been researching this subject for a week. I can see the only hitches occurring with the soldering and WIFI.

The first thing I have to do is get a mod chip. After researching the subject I came out with the Xecuter 3 as the best choice because:

A. Huge Community that is willing to support me in the chance problems arise
B. It has a huge array of features.
C. I wanted to buy through PayPal so my choices of stores are limited.

I ordered my mod chip through Extreme-Mods.com. I liked the stores customer satisfaction rate. The other item I ordered was the ColdHeat soldering iron from ThinkGeek.com . I have seen a review of it online and liked the fact that I would not burn myself and that it had a flashlight built in.

The hard drive I am going to use for this modification is my Western Digital 250 gigabyte drive that is inside my computer right now.

I am also contemplating getting a WRT54G wireless router (I already have one) and use the second one as a wireless bridge. The only thing I would have to do is use the hacked firmware for it that is readily available online.

So right now the only thing I can do is wait for my ColdHeat and Xecuter to come in. Then the modding shall begin..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home